Posted by Joel Martinsen on Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 1:22 PM
The World Cup is a big deal at the Beijing company that sent around the following notice:
A Special Notice
Latest Notice: The Company During the World Cup
Notice is made of the following:
1. During the World Cup, the start of work will be delayed from 9:00 am to 10:30.
2. Red Bull has been added to the company's refreshment room for employees to revitalize themselves. However, quantities are limited to two bottles per person per day. Please observe this rule when you drink.
3. During the World Cup, the company will run a prediction contest. Competitors will guess the champion, and the contest winner will be awarded an XBox (check your email for participation details).
4. During the World Cup, every day on which Brazil has a game, the company will organize a group to watch the game at the Goose and Duck, and will cover all drinks (those interested in taking part should apply with Xu Li in Administration before June 11).
5. If Brazil becomes the champion, the entire company will dine at the Golden Jaguar! (on the evening of July 12).
The above measures apply so long as they do not affect work.
[Company name redacted]
Links and Sources
China Media Timeline
Major media events over the last three decades
Danwei Model Workers
The latest recommended blogs and new media
Front Page of the Day
A different newspaper every weekday
From the Vault
Classic Danwei posts
+ Culture and corporate propaganda in Soho Xiaobao (2007.11): Mid-2007 issues of Soho Xiaobao (SOHO小报), illustrating the complicated identity of in-house magazines run by real estate companies.
+ Internet executives complain about excessive Net censorship (2010.03): Internet executives complain about excessive Net censorship at an officially sanctioned meeting in Shenzhen.
+ Crowd-sourced cheating on the 2010 gaokao (2010.06): A student in Sichuan seeks help with the ancient Chinese section of this year's college entrance exam -- while the test is going on!